ASUU strike has helped improve my music


 ASSU strike has helped improve my music


Tobiloba  Adeyemi is a 19-year-old                      undergraduate who decided to make good use of the on-going strike  by the Academic Staff Union of Universities (ASUU) to spark up her passion for music and has produced some singles. In this interview with Newton-Ray Ukwuoma, she talks about her career, education and other issues. Excerpts:
How passionate are you about music?
First of all, I define music as life.  I think that believing is more important than passion, because if you do not believe in what you do, you cannot have passion for it.
So, everything that surrounds me, definitely is part of my life, music is that aspect of my life that I believe I have passion for.
When did you discover music or did music discover you?
I have always liked anything entertainment right from my childhood. But I didn’t really know I had it in me until I joined the choir in 2011. That was how everything started. I began to discover my essence, so I just picked it up as something I like to continue doing.
.

Your educational background?
I am a 200 level student of University of Lagos, where I study French Language in the Department of European Languages.
How has your academics affected your music?
I don’t know if I should say thanks to ASUU strike, but I have had enough time to really focus on music, and I just hope that when we resume, I will be able to balance up.
You have worked with Fliptyce. How is your experience with him?
Fliptyce is one of the most talented producers we have in Nigeria. He made it very easy for me not only to do my thing as a singer, but also to discover other talents I didn’t know about myself. It has been a great time with him. It was a very fun-filled experience.  I am glad I worked with him.
What kind of music do you do?
I like to define it as expressive Afro Pop. Most people just say: “Afro pop.” I like to call mine Expressive Afro pop because I am expressing something in an African way and also in a  “hipy hopy” style.
 What do you think your fans should look out for in your songs?
Something entirely different. I don’t like to let the cat out of the bag, just immediately. I want my fans to see for themselves.
 Talking about your singles, before now what other singles have you done?
The first one I released was Beat Up which featured Seanice. That was in 2011. Then I was featured on two other songs by two up-and-coming artistes: Shake Body and Me and You. One was a dance song, the other a love song, just three songs so far.
As a female and up-and-coming artiste, what are your challenges?
People have this notion that as a female artiste, you face a lot of challenges. We all know what that means. I have been lucky.
I have a strong team backing me.  My family, friends have been really supportive and protective. Most of the challenges have not swept me off my feet. I have been able to overcome.
How do you see yourself in the next five years?
I see myself on an international stage. I see myself touring other countries and doing what I love doing. But who knows? I might be on a different planet. I think God knows best.
Source: Tribune Newspaper

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...